How ethical do you think you are?

Monday 9 January 2017

Fur & Fashion

One issue in the fashion industry that I always struggle to understand, is the use of fur. At least once a week PETA pops up in my email box and all I see are these shocking photos of poor animals being used so we can look good. It’s so easy for me to just delete the email, pretend it’s not happening and forget about it as I’m sure like most other people you don’t want to see the severity of what’s going on. However, going into a new year I think it’s important that unethical issues like this need to the addressed, after all the population of certain species aren’t rising they are only dropping. Looking through the PETA website, some of the photos are truly heart breaking. I think it’s important to share some of the facts that I found out on the website and get your take on the subject. 

The first fact that I couldn’t believe was that in China there is no penalties for people who abuse animals on fur farms (I can’t even understand how ‘fur farms’ can be an actual thing) and with China being the world’s largest fur exporter. With this being said it doesn’t even bare thinking about how they treat the animals that they are making garments out of, after all with no penalty for their actions, there’s nothing stopping their barbaric behaviour. Why don’t China have the same laws as the UK? With the responsibility of being the world’s largest fur exporter they hold a large responsibility and something needs to be put into place! Otherwise, more than half of the USA is walking around with fur garments that have been unethically made. Now, I don’t to blame the whole of China for every unethical fur issue. However, wherever I look it seems that a lot of people are blaming them. It’s said that more than 2 million cats and hundreds of thousands of dogs are killed in awful ways. Often skinned alive or hung simple for their fur, no animals being killed like this is fair. But when I hear about the cats and dogs it’s so hard to imagine, the thought of someone doing that to my cat for his fur makes my blood boil! And in a lot of cases these are people’s pets, as they are unfortunately stolen from people’s homes for their fur. It’s so sickening. How can this happen?

 It’s said that electrocuting fur-bearing animals anally and genitally is used often to avoid damaging the fur, the only place this awful method has been made illegal is in New York. What? I can’t believe what I am reading. It’s 2017, how can these barbaric methods be legal anywhere? This needs to stop, I am all about faux fur and I don’t believe that these poor animals should suffer in these ways just so we can keep ourselves warm and fashionable. There are other ways to do so, I hope that in this year we can see an improvement and we can stop this!

I’m not going to post any photos in this blog, but I will post the PETA website below. So if you want to find out more and you want to see what they do have a look!

Christie xx


6 comments:

  1. Fur and fashion much like you is something i fail to understand. We can look good without hurting the poor fur babies. Great post, lets spread the word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment Laura, so happy you feel the same!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more, I consciously buy faux fur and can't understand why people feel the need to hurt these poor, innocent animals just for the sake of fashion! Keep up the good work by spreading the word!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't agree more! Thanks for posting the link to PETA, really helpful ☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good afternoon. I've just read your blog about the Fur epidemic and I couldn't have put it better myself. The world would have something to say if we were killing little monkeys or pandas for their fur so why is it acceptable to harm foxes because they're not a typically cute animal. It's not right. There certinaly needs to be more restrictions in place to protect animals from harm for the sake of fashion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stu! I completely agree, it's so unfair. Something has to be done to prevent harm to these poor animals.

      Delete